Nutrition & Diets : Is It Safe to Eat Mold?

Nutrition & Diets : Is It Safe to Eat Mold?


My name is Christine Marquette and I am a
Registered and Licensed Dietitian with The Austin Regional Clinic and I have been asked
is it safe to eat mold. In general it is not safe to eat mold. There are a few items that
are actually made with mold in the manufacturing process, things like blue cheese, some types
of Brie cheese or Roquefort cheese, however, those are under very controlled conditions
in the manufacturing process so in that respect, yes it’s o’kay to eat that kind of mold but
if it’s mold that is just growing on something in your refrigerator then you definitely want
to avoid it because those types of mold can cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, all sorts
of stomach upset. If it is something that is pretty soft or a high water content food
say for example a soft cheese like a Brie or even a mozzarella cheese or cottage cheese
or if it’s in a lot of fruits or stews or meat, that kind of thing you just want to
throw away, you don’t want to try to cut any of it off, just throw the whole thing away
because those types of mold they can get very deep into the tissue of those food items.
You may not even see it in there you may think you have removed it all but there will still
be some mold in there and it can really cause you some stomach upset. You also want to throw
out items such as rice, any type of grain or peanuts if they have any trace of mold
in them because that type of mold is highly toxin and it is called apitoxin and it can
spread throughout the entire grain and you may not even see it so that is best that you
completely throw it out. The types of food that you may be able to cut the mold out of
and actually recover would be hard cheeses like a cheddar cheese or swiss cheese. You
need to cut at least a one inch portion away from the moldy spot and leftover cheese you
want to use as quickly as possible. You may also be able to recover some hard vegetable
things like broccoli, celery, even onions and those types of foods and if you cut a
good one inch portion away from the mold make sure your knife doesn’t come in contact with
the mold you can recover that leftover portion of those particular vegetables but you do
want to make sure that you use them as quickly as possible.

21 thoughts on “Nutrition & Diets : Is It Safe to Eat Mold?

  1. I think I ate moldy rice before, it smelled funny. I didn't get sick, so what does that mean?

  2. I ate a moldy pancake about half an hour ago, is something going to happen to me. I did not see the mold but it tasted funny and my sister said she saw mold on it

  3. Why tf does this video exist! EATING MOLD IS OBVIOUSLY BAD FOR YOU I DO NOT WANT TO SEE PEOPLE EATING MOLDY FOODS WHILE WALKING DOWN THE STREET AND SAYING ITS GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *